Handique Girls’ College has a hostel of of its own on the eastern bank of Dighalipukhuri. It is named after the poetess and the renowned litterateur, the late Nirmal Prabha Bardoloi, who was one of the famous alumni of the Institution. The College Hostel may be considered an integral part as well as an extension of the Institution. The atmosphere of the Hostel reflects the true multiplicity of divergent cultures of the region. As such the students are required to maintain a healthy community atmosphere in the Hostel.
The internal management of the Hostel is looked after by a resident Superintendent. There is a Hostel Committee, consisting of the Principal, Convenor, Superintendent of the Hostel, and four members from the teaching staff, to help in the smooth functioning of the Hostel. The term of the Committee is for a period of two years.
[box]Eligibility for Admission into the Hostel[/box]
- Admission to the Hostel is granted only atter the College admission is finalized
- Number of Hostel seats is limited, and admission is made strictly on the basis of academic merit.
- Only out-station students are eligible for admission.
- Only regular students of Handique Girls’ College are eligible for Hostel accommodation.
- Students who wish to avail of a Hostel seat under ST/SC, or any other reserved category are required to produce relevant certificates at the time of admission.
- Admission is finalized after a personal interview with the candidate, parents, and local guardian. They are interviewed by a committee consisting of the Hostel Superintendent, and two members representing the Hostel Committee.
[box]Hostel Admission Procedure[/box]
The College allots hostel accommodation only to the TDC students. No Hostel seats are provided to the first as well as the second year HS students (both Arts and Science). All TDC first semester students desiring Hostel accommodation should submit the Hostel application form, duly filled, on the day of the College admission. Applications are reviewed by the Hostel Committee and seats are allotted accordingly. The following documents should be attached with the completed form at the time of submission
- College fee receipt.
- Relevant documents of SC/ST.
- One passport-size photograph.
- Only regular students of Handique Girls’ College are eligible for Hostel accommodation.
- Incomplete forms are rejected.
Re-admission to the Hostel is made afresh each year. Allotted seats are valid for one academic session only. Procedure for re-admission is the same as for first year admission. The following students are not re-admitted:
- Those, who fail to secure 75% attendance in Major as well as Subsidiary subjects in the previous academic year.
- Those who have violated College and Hostel rules, or are guilty of Hostel indiscipline or committed acts of misconduct in the previous year.
- Those who fail to pay their mess dues regularly.
[box]Rules and Regulations[/box]
- There shall be no ragging in the Hostels. Anybody found indulging in ragging is liable to be expelled from the Hostel as well as from the College.
- Students are required to sign on a register every time they leave the Hostel premises, (except during College hours) to fill in the required details and sign again on return. Strict measures are be taken against any boarder found violating this rule.
- No resident is allowed to go home in between the summer and the Puja vacations without valid reasons.
- Boarders must report at the Hostel the day before re-opening of the College.
- Boarders are permitted to leave the Hostel the day before the commencement of a vacation.
- Night stay outside the Hostel is generally not permissible. However, a boarder can stay at the local guardian’s house (for one night only), after submitting an application written and signed by the local guardian. Any extension of leave in case of sickness or unforeseen circumstances has to be written and duly signed by the local guardian.
- Outstation leave is granted only on the production of a letter from the parents and permission from the Principal.
- Any change in the details of the local guardian must be informed and approved by by the College authorities.
- Boarders are required to maintain silence during study hours, the study schedule being 6 am to 9 am; 6 pm to 8.30 pm; 9.30 pm onwards.
- Use of electric appliances and mobile phones is strictly prohibited in the Hostel rooms. If any forbidden articles, such as heaters, immersion rods, irons, stoves etc. are found in the room they will be confiscated and a fine imposed for the violation of rules.
- Residents are required to keep their rooms tidy, neat and clean, and observe proper methods of disposal of garbage.
- Meal timings must be strictly adhered to by the residents.
- Morning tea 5.30 am.
- Morning Meal 8-8.30 am.
- Afternoon snacks 3.30 pm.
- Evening Tea 5.45 pm.
- Dinner 8-8.30 pm.
- Boarders are not allowed to stay in the Hostel during college hours without valid reason.
- Parents of a boarder should introduce the local guardian to the Superintendent of the Hostel.
- A Passport size photograph of local guardian is required to be submitted to the Superintendent during admission.
- Boarders are required to acquaint themselves with the Hostel Rules abide strictly by them.
- Students on the waiting List are advised to regularly check the Hostel notice board. If students do not avail of a seat when it is offered , they will lose their priority in the Waiting List.
- Seats are allotted by the Hostel Committee. No student can change her seat without the knowledge of the Superintendent and the approval of the Principal.
- Each student must fill up the Resident Information form and submit the same to the Superintendent within 3 days of admission.
- Allotted seat rent and establishment charges must be deposited at the College fees counter prior to entering the Hostel. Hostel admission is granted on production of the Hostel seat rent receipt.
- The Hostel provides ceiling fans and lights. Each boarder is allotted a bed, a study table and chair. Boarders are required to bring in their own mattress, pillow, blankets, quilt, bed-linen, towels, curtains, bucket and mug.
- Boarders must also bring their own plate, coffee-mug, glass, cutlery, thermos-flask, torch etc. No Hostel property must not be removed from the dining room under any circumstances.
- In case of a medical emergency, a student is taken to the nearest hospital/nursing home, and her local guardian is immediately informed.
- Students who forge the parents’ /local guardian’s signature may be expelled from the Hostel.
- Rooms are subject to surprise checks by the Superintendent and the Hostel Committee.
- Boarders are advised not to keep valuables and large amount of cash in their rooms. The Hostel authorities will not be responsible for any loss or damage to personal belongings.
- Any damage to hostel property must be replaced by the offender.
- Resident students are expected to help in the smooth and efficient functioning of the Hostel and extend full cooperation to the Superintendent. There are three monitresses, from among the boarders, who are responsible for maintaining order, discipline, and cleanliness in the rooms and corridors, and who also help in organizing extracurricular activities like Freshers’ Social, Saraswati Puja, etc. The monitresses are selected from the third year students either by the boarders or by the Superintendent. The office of the monitress is for one academic session.
- The management of the Hostel mess is generally undertaken by a group of students from among the boarders. Selection of the group is at the discretion of the Superintendent.
- The Hostel provides both day and night watchmen.
- The boarders must provide 2 photographs (One family photo and one photo of her local guardian in the time of hostel admission.
- Local guardian’s status should be married.
[box]Visitors and Guests[/box]
- Visiting days of the Hostel are as follows:
Wednesday 3pm to 5pm
Sunday 9 am to 12 noon; 3pmto5pm
In normal circumstances, no visitors are allowed other than on these days.
- Female visitors may visit the boarders in their rooms with the permission of the Superintendent. Male visitors can meet a resident only in the Visitors’ Room.
- No visitors, including day scholars, are allowed to enter the Hostel, except with the permission of the Superintendent.
- Boarders must be properly attired when receiving visitors. Meeting visitors and coming to the dining hall in night clothes is strictly prohibited.
- Student-guests are allowed to stay in the Hostel with the prior permission of the Superintendent for a maximum period of 2 days. Extension of stay is determined by the Superintendent. The number of guests allowed for a boarder is at the discretion of the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent reserves the right to refuse admission or to terminate the stay of any guest.
- Hostel rules and regulations are also applicable to guests.
[box type=”info”]Hostel fees and other dues-> Please refer to Prospectus [/box]