About the Department
The subject Home Science is multidisciplinary in nature and it aims to develop home, family and community life within a changing society by taking the help of scientific knowledge and methods. The areas of Home Science include Food Science and Nutrition, Clothing and Textile, Human Development, Resource Management and Extension Education.
Create a culture of professionalism, self-reliance and service to the community.
Holistic development of students through inclusion of scientific knowledge, practical skills and field experience so as to prepare them to become qualified professionals equipped with the relevant knowledge, skills and attitude.
To provide the students with a wide range of opportunities and prepare them to meet the challenges, demands of contemporary society and motivate the students towards excellence, self-reliance and entrepreneurship.
- Higher Secondary course of AHSEC(Assam Higher Secondary Education Council)
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Major and General)
- CBCS Honours and Regular BA/BSc Courses since 2019 onwards.
|No of seats for B.A. ( Honour)||20|
|No of seats for B.Sc. (Honour)||10|
|No of seats B.A./B.Sc (Regular)||20|
|No of seats in (Generic)||25|
The departmental library is equipped with 270 text books and reference books to cater to the needs of the students and teachers.
The department has all the modern Laboratory facilities that include analysis of food adulteration, bomb calorie meter and baking and confectionery facility. The department is also equipped with fiber identification, natural dye extraction, dyeing, printing, painting and clothing construction unit.
The department has three practical laboratories-
- Nutrition laboratory
- Clothing& Textile laboratory
- Food and textile testing laboratory.
- Academic activities: The department conducts regular students seminars, inter disciplinary classes, group discussions, regular class tests, and remedial classes for slow learners. Eminent resource persons are invited regularly to deliver talks and to interact with the students.
- Field and Outreach Extension activities: Regular field trips are planned as per need of the syllabus. Extension and community activities play a very important role in the Home Science Curriculum. The students visit different preschools where they participate in the teaching-learning process. Students also visit identified underprivileged areas where they extend their knowledge to the community in different aspects as required.
- Students counseling/mentoring: Counselling and mentoring of students are done regularly by the faculties of the department which includes academic and personal issues.
- Training Programmes:
- Cafeteria training programme for 2 weeks by 6th Semester Major Students
- Curriculum planning and participation in pre-school for 1 week by both major and General students
- Workshop on Arts and Crafts
Major project completed
- Name of the Project: “Capacity building on Street Food Services” Sponsored by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Govt. of India assisted by World Bank, 2008
- Teacher led Students’ Projects ( completed): The department has so far completed 5 Teacher-Led-Students’ Project on varied topics given below:
- A study on nutritional status and prevalence of anaemia among the college going girls’ of Guwahati city.
- Extraction of eco- friendly dyes from marigold flowers on cotton and silk fabric.
- Recycling of house hold vegetative wastes into eco-friendly textile dyes in cotton and silk fabric.
- Qualitative analysis of adulterants of milk samples collected from various sources of Guwahati city.
- Effect of onion tunic dyes on the properties of mulberry silk fabric (on going)
- The Department is also involved in taking M.Sc DFSM (Dietetics and Food Service Management) and ANC (Nutrition for the Community) Course under IGNOU. The faculty members are involved in supervising the M.Sc dissertation. The total number of dissertations supervised by the faculty members are 20(twenty) .
- During pandemic the department organized a two day International Webinar on the theme Nutrition and Wellness in the month of July 2020.The sub-themes of the Webinar were –
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Dairy products and its association with diabetes and hypertension.
- Impact of Pandemic on children with special reference to children with special needs.
Dr. Jayashree Sarmah Goswami (HoD)
Dr. Meenakshi Dutta Mazumdar
|3||Dr. Shabnam Hazarika|
Ms. Hoitinkim Singson